Please Respect My Work...

All of the cards, layouts, handmade items and art work displayed on this website are copyright to me, Lynne Mizera. Of course I hope to inspire and encourage you and would be morethan happy for you to use any of my work to that end; however, please respect me and my work and do not directly copy any of my projects without crediting me or enter any of my work into any magazines or competitions without my express written permission. All my cards, layouts, projects and art work are not to be used by any commercial enterprise for any financial, marketing or commercial gain.

Friday, February 23, 2018

Bloom & Grow Your Artist's Soul - A Mixed Media Tutorial

Hello and Happy Day everyone!  It's me, Lynne here today to share my monthly tutorial post for STAMPlorations with all of you, (which is, as you know,  my very favorite thing to do!)  And hang onto your seats peeps because this month I am taking you a tiny bit deeper into the art side of the mixed media world as you Paint Your Own Flowers! 
As always I am going to walk you through each step of my process, with lots of photos along the way, which if you follow along with me, one tiny little step at a time, you too will create a piece of your own art that you can be proud of - so here goes...

Step #1 - Creating Your Background: Fill your page with lots of color.  The more vibrant and colorful your background, the more the white flowers will pop off the page.
As you can see in this photo I am using my Dylusion paints and a foam applicator and applying the colors how ever I want, without thinking too much about it.  Just get the page covered...
 
Now for the fun part, using a stencil, it can be any stencil with a pattern you like, I am going to "cut through" the background colors applying white paint where the colors are dark, and a contrasting darker paint where the colors are light.  You will want to make sure that this first layer of paint is dry before you add your stencil pattern.
I began with my stencil in a vertical pattern and then switched it to a horizontal pattern.  There is no wrong way to do this, just keep layering until your page is filled up with color and patterns. 
Step 1 is now done ... let this dry.

STEP #2 - Draw in your flowers:  I am using a Stabilo All pencil but use what you have on  hand.  It can be a charcol pencil or a black pencil crayon or a soft lead pencil like an HB.
You want to use something dark enough so that you can see it over top your background and don't worry about being too dark because you will be painting over top if these lines. 
 
I drew daisies because they are easy for me, but you can draw any flower you like, just keep the shape simple and very open... like the flowers you would draw when you were a child
 
Now the reason I am using the Stabilo All pencil is that the black lines turn to paint when they get wet, so when I add my white paint it immediately turns grey, and gives me shading without having to do too much.  This will happen if you use a charcole pencil or a soft-leaded pencil, but not if you use a pencil crayon.
I put a good amount of paint on my brush and either outline the petal or make one broad brush stroke to create a streak of paint going in the right direction. Clean your brush often so the paint does not become too black, and don't worry too much about what your flowers look like at this stage because you are going to paint over them a few more times.  You can see in this photo that my flowers look very child like, which is what I want. 

I let the first layer dry (you can use a heat gun to speed up the process) and then went over my petals several more times with my white paint until the  flowers really stood out against the background.  You will notice that the petal shapes are very child-like and imperfect, this is the look I am going for and I will clean up everything in the last step, so be gentle with yourself and let your inner child just paint some flowers. 
 

Next I added paint to the stems, and filled in the flower centres with a dark brown.  I used the same dark brown to add a bit of shading to the edges of my stems, but again I did not worry too much about the placement, I just wanted some color and some contrast.
 
And now I will create some shadows on the petals using a color that is darker than the white but still fairly light - I chose a warm yellow - and added strokes of color between the petals and I also dabbed the top of the flower centres with some yellow to show the direction the sun is shining.

Step#4 - Cleaning It All Up:  This is the step where everything changes from a very child-like look to a more purposefully whimsical look - or what I like to call Perfectly Imperfect - by outlining your images.
 
I like to use a fine-tipped paint brush and a very thin black paint, but you can use a paint pen or a waterproof marker any other tool that let's you easily outline the images.  
Again, there is no need to be perfect and and it is easier if you do not think too much.  You will see that I did not follow my brush strokes, but rather drew in the petal shapes I wanted, and I even let paint show outside the lines!  I also added a few lines on the petals... if you think about what the images look like in a coloring book you will be on the right track.

Step#5 - Add Your Sentiment:  When I am creating a page in my art journal I like to add words that mean something to me.  Even if I am doing this on a canvas, I like to add words, because that is what I do.   You do not have to do this.
 
When you are adding journalling to a page that is this vibrant and busy you will need to create a place to write so the words will show up.  I like to use a watered-down white gesso for two reasons; 1. because pens seem to write better on the matte surface and 2. because I  want some of my background to show through and to keep the flowers as the focal point.  Otherwise the white and black journalling will overpower the page.
 
But this is not the case when you just fade back your background, as you can see in the finished spread.  You can practice this technique on paper, in your art journal or on a canvas  using whatever product you have on  hand - craft paint and pencil crayons will work just as well as acrylic paints and charcoal pencils.  The main thing is to allow yourself to paint some child-like flowers and then make them a little bit more grown  up!

So I do hope you enjoyed my tutorial this month and that I maybe inspired you to try a new technique and to play with your stencils in a different way.  And As always, Thank You for popping in today to see what I am up to ... and Please DO leave me a comment if you like what you see!!

Lynne  Mizera
For the STAMPlorations Mixed Media Design Team
 


STAMPLORATIONS PRODUCTS USED:


Other Products Used:
Ranger Dylusion paints (background)
Stabilo All Pencil - black
DecoArt Americana Chalky Finish (for the flowers)
Whisper (off white)
Delicate (yellow)
New Life (green) 
Liquitex White Gesso




























ARTploration Stencil: Evolution



5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous art journal page! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Lynne! I need to start trying some of your techniques. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightfully happy spread, Lynne...a great uplift to the snowy day outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thank you for sharing this process, great tutorial. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. An AMAZING spread and a great step by step as well!
    Happy crafting!
    Greetings from Austria
    Found your blog via Win Dinn recently!
    Susi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment, I read every one and reply when I can.